Tuesday 31 May 2011

Not a dog's world in Selayang

Thursday, May 19th, 2011 12:05:00
Dogs

SAY SORRY : Molly (left) and brother Pavithiran want the council to apologise

SELAYANG: A family has alleged their pet dogs were forcefully taken from their home in Taman Seri Gombak by Selayang Municipal Council (MPS) enforcement officers and beaten at its pound despite having valid licences.

S. Gunasegar, 48, said his dogs, an Irish Terrier and a Chihuahua mixed breed named Tiger and Tommy respectively, suffered body and leg injuries as a result of the beatings.

“My veterinarian told me that the injuries to my pets were consistent with beatings using a sharp object,” he told The Malay Mail.

Gunasegar said his neighbours told him the council officers came to his house about 10.30am on May 4 when he and his family were on holiday in Malacca.

“My house gate was left unlocked and the officers had barged in and took hold of my dogs without any prior notice given,” he said, adding the council officers said they took his pets due to complaints by neighbours irritated by the constant barking.

“I had to pay a RM200 fine but my two pets, which used to be so lively, looked lifeless when I brought them back on May 6.”

His daughter Molly, 23, said: “Tommy's thick hair had to be shaved off so that the veterinarian could take a closer look at its skin injuries due to the beating. The two days our dogs were at the pound also traumatised both, and Tiger, which is one and a half years old, also fainted.”

Gunasegar said he wanted an apology and RM5,000 as compensation from the council for the ill-treatment of his pets.

“My dogs are licensed and the council officers had no right to enter my property without permission.”

At Press time, the council could not be reached for comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOTE: We do not live in a Legal vacuum.
A pseudonym/ nickname with comments would be much appreciated.